Obtaining U.S. citizenship is a step up from Green Card status (i.e. “permanent resident status”). Once you become a U.S. citizen you can vote and apply for federal jobs, be completely secure from most anti-immigration laws (although as a naturalized citizen you can still lose your citizenship up to ten years until after your naturalization), take long, luxurious vacations anywhere in the world, return to the U.S. without any barriers, apply for public benefits like social security and medicare, bring family to the U.S, and pass naturalization on to your children.
It is, in some ways, a straightforward process. But even a straightforward naturalization application and interview cycle is unforgiving in its demands for accuracy, truthful representation, and completeness. On the other hand, when it comes to things like naturalization through birth or derivation, the process for obtaining citizenship can become unexpectedly complex and fraught with danger of failure for the applicant. For these reasons getting a lawyer is highly advised for applicants.
Work Visa Criteria
- To find out if you qualify you can take our U.S. Citizenship Quiz. It’s free!
- Permanent residency of the required number of years – 3-5 years in most cases, with small exceptions for active members of the military
- Presence in the U.S. for half of the required years of permanent residenc
- Continuous presence in the U.S. during permanent residency
- At least 18 years old when the application is fild
- Good moral character in the years leading up to the naturalization application
- Can speak, read, and write English (with some exceptions based on combined age and residency)
- You are willing to take an oath of loyalty to the U.S.
- There is more. To find out with more clarity, you should seriously take our U.S. Citizenship Quiz
How Can Bull City Lawyer Help You?
- Bull City Lawyer will guide you through figuring out which work visa category is best for you (although our Quiz is actually very good at doing this for you, for free!)
- We can assist, guide, and/or represent those who’s history of travel or criminal history may impact their naturalization application
- We will help you at any point of your application process; from filling out an application, to translation and interview preparation services
- In cases of naturalization by birth, derivation, or adoption, we will help you navigate the complex laws around these issues and make you more ready to find success.